Gluten Free Sheetcake - Super Easy



I made my first sheetcake, in a while, after Tina Fey’s excellent satire piece. Turned out, the cake was delicious. I made it again. I’m becoming a serial sheetcaker. Because gluten free cakes are heavier than regular cakes, you really don’t need a two-layer cake to have a very satisfying sheetcake experience.

1 Box King Arthur’s gluten free yellow cake mix (I find it in stores, but here's an online link).
Prepare as directed, except to keep it non-dairy, I substitute Fleischman’s parve margarine for the butter, and use a mix of coconut milk and orange juice (50:50) instead of milk. You could use a different non-dairy milk. Then, I add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Also, I use a mixer and mix it a few minutes longer than the directions call for. It’s hard to overmix gluten free flours.

Bake in a greased 9 x 13 cake pan in a single layer as directed. 350F for 38-42 minutes. When you think it’s cooked, use an instant read thermometer. The center middle should be at or close to 200F. Let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan and let it cool another 10 minutes, then frost.

Now, as for frosting, there are plenty of nondairy gluten free frostings (vanilla pictured), but we also really like Duncan Hines Coconut Pecan.

OK, now go take on the world, demonstrate at a nonviolent rally, raise money for hurricane victims. Or maybe share some sheetcake. 

Comments