Practical Yoga

This is a new direction for posts from me. I'm going to talk about yoga.



I started practicing yoga when I turned 50 because I thought it would help with various symptoms I was experiencing.

It didn't.

I kept practicing because it helped with other areas I didn't even know needed help. For me, it improves flexibility, adds strength, boosts my immune system, relaxes me, improves my posture, and reduces pain I feel (sometimes). I'm not trying to get a yoga body. I'm not trying to compete in Yogalympics or post stunning videos on youtube. I'm not trying to outdo anyone. If any of these are your yoga goals, you probably won't get much out of this blog series.

When I started, I was going a couple times/week, but I never practiced at home on my own. I found that the gains I felt after yoga class were usually gone in a few hours or a day and didn't return until the next yoga class. Which is a good model for a yoga business, but not so good for a casual practitioner. All these years later, I'm still struggling with how to enjoy the gains of yoga without the pains. I plan to chronicle what works for me as a person practicing yoga alone in the hopes it will help others.

1. Do Less. Yoga should be a jog, not a sprint. Yoga causes pain in 10% of people practicing, which is about the same as other physical activities. Worse still, it exacerbates pain in 20% of existing musculoskeletal injuries.  So the first point is, less is more. Don't overdo. Don't hold a pose until it hurts. Don't go for benchmarks (I touched my toes and OW I PUT MY BACK IN SPASM).

I find solo practice by myself is the safest way to not overdo or hurt myself, but I also enjoy online yoga videos. If I watch videos, I don't do everything in them, however, or I might stop them and do more than what's in the video. Using videos depends on your comfort with and confidence in performing different poses.

2, Give yourself a script. Yoga instructors appear to be able to reel off a beautiful flowing practice that starts with one pose, organically moves to other poses, and ends after a well-balanced whole body workout. I can't remember that stuff. So, if I'm not watching a video, I start my morning practice by writing down the poses I'm planning to do, and the order, or picking up a slip I used another day. I take the paper to the mat and when I finish one pose, do what it says next. I may not do what I wrote on the paper, but at least I have a guide.

3. Slow Down. For me, this means putting on some music, and holding the poses and flowing therough the moving sections while listening to the music. Enjoy the music.


In the interests of Do Less, I think this is a good place to end this blogpost.

Comments